• zack Maupin

4 April 2023 at 18 h 12 min

Hi Jenny, this is a great question- I know a lot of districts require a “report” is prepared to present information to support the manifestation determination IEP process. That being said, and as you mentioned, there is no established report or format.

When I prepared reports for MD IEPs I would often format them similar to my psychoeducational reports, with a section for background information, health, development, psychiatric history (if relevant), cognitive, academic/school functioning, social/emotional/behavioral, and a conclusion section where I walk through my thoughts and recommendations for the 2 questions (was it a manifestation, was the IEP upheld with fidelity).

Another SUPER helpful resource I have benefited from is a form Dianna Browning Wright (linked). This used to be available on the PENT.ca.gov website (a common CA resource), but I couldn’t find it there (this is a random SELPA in SD that uses it, I believe). This guide is helpful to supplement dialogue in the IEP.

Another helpful resource is below, there is a “decision tree” diagram to walk through the two questions, as well as recommended IEP team members and other helpful information.

Knudsen, M. E., & Behtune, K. S. (2018). Manifestation determinations: An interdisciplinary guide to best practices.
    Teaching Exceptional Children, 50(3), 153–160. https://doi.org/10.1177/0040059917745653

Let me know if I can provide any further information!

ZM